Starting from Android 4.1 ("Jelly Bean") Google have taken back permission to read logs (read_logs). This permission is really necessary.
It's OK, if you have ROOT, but what if you don't have one OR don't want to root your phone (maybe, for Over The Air updates)?
That's what this tutorial is about:
- Set up your phone
- Set up your PC
- Grant permission
1. Set up your phone
1) Go to Settings Developer Options USB debugging set to Enable
(optional) 1.1) If you don't see Developer Options in Settings, go to Settings About Phone
- tap few times "Build number" until you see the message that you are a developer
- Return to Settings. Now you will see Developer Options.
2. Set up your PC
We need Android Studio (Software Development Kit) to get adb.exe working on our PC.
1) Head to the official Android site - http://developer.android.com/sdk/
2) Download Android Studio.
3) Launch the
.exe file you just downloaded.
4) Follow the setup wizard to install Android Studio and any necessary SDK tools. I suggest you to install Android Studio and it's SDK in same folder (Android).
5) If you need it - Run SDK Manager. It's on upper tools panel, find green icon with arrow and hint "Android SDK Manager".
- Check all Tools.
- Uncheck Android versions (we don't need them).
- In Extras make sure "Google USB driver" is checked.
7) Press "Install Packages". Accept license. Wait… Close SDK Manager.
3. Grant permission
And here comes the fun part
1) Plug your phone via USB cable and wait for it to install drivers. At this point, your phone have to get a debug prompt from your PC. Allow debug.
(optional) 1.1) If there is NO prompt: either you have already allowed debugging OR there is an error and you still need those drivers - go to #4 below.
2) Go to location of adb.exe file "D:\Program Files\Android\sdk\android-sdk\platform-tools\" (or something like that)
- hold shift on your keyboard and right-click in a blank spot inside the platform-tools folder
- select "Open Command Window Here"
There gonna be few commands you'll have to run via Command Window. The easiest way is to copy and paste those commands. Paste using mouse.
3) Paste following commands to Command Window (hitting enter at the end of every line):
- adb devices
- You should see a phone serial number. This means you are all set!
- If you do NOT see a serial number, then check #4 below.
for Full version
- adb shell "pm grant com.inoysoft.callbeepchangerbeta android.permission.READ_LOGS"
- no result text in any case
for Free version
- adb shell "pm grant com.inoysoft.callbeepchangerbetafree android.permission.READ_LOGS"
- no result text in any case
If you use Google Translate, move mouse over a command. Copy original English text.
(optional) 4) If you do NOT see a serial number - you need to install USB drivers for your phone. Just Google something like "Samsung USB drivers". Download and install them. After drivers install adb devices will return serial number and you can go to final command.
5) Turn off your phone. Unplug USB. Turn phone on.
You've made it !!!
You've granted READ_LOGS permission and your phone still NOT rooted !
If you need any help - feel free to comment!
We would like to introduce you our new app - Dog Whistle HD
- Dog Whistle HD will remember for you your command's frequency, duration, repeat times and name of each command!
- Customizable backgrounds and text colors!
- On-line backup of your commands to our servers! (for premium users)
- Feature: One command to Full Screen!
- Adjustable HD frequency generator! (500Hz to 22500Hz)
- Adjustable tone duration! (0.5 sec to 5 sec)
- Adjustable tone repeat times! (1 to 5 times)
No need to remember all that numbers, to make dog understand you. Dog Whistle HD will do it for you for free!
Let me explain version numbers logic:
Version 1.0 is the ideal to which we aspire and I hope we'll reach it, some day.
Pattern for versions is: 0.9.x.y
X = some new feature or really valuable improvement
Y = improvements and bugfixing
All updates are valuable and critical.
Changes in last update:
- Usability improvements (Stop button)
- Size reduced
- CyanogenMod fix
It's been a while after last post, but updates were coming out.
Well, here are changes on last 0.9.4.4 Update:
- Added Modes
Modes are bringing Ringtone INSTEAD Ringback to a new level. As all people different - it will be natural to hear different music for each. Now you can setup your music for each contact or group. Basic “One For All” mode is still there. And although there is mode for random audio file from folder.
The modes are:
- One For All
- One For Group
- One For Contact
- Random file from Folder
- New supported audio files
- Bugfixing and a lot of Improvements
It's been a while and there are some changes:
The App was renamed to Ringtone INSTEAD Ringback
Current version is 0.9.3.3 b and there are some changes:
- Added music Stop button to the call screen
- Added feedback with ability to attach logs
- Added social network compatibility
- Created new icons for folders and audio files
- Some bugfixing and improvements
- In Free Version it's 2 standard tracks now
Also, now there is a Video!
You can visit our forum on xda-developers
And here is Ringtone INSTEAD Ringback on Google Play: